Thursday, September 23, 2010

CHAOS

Chaos....thats how I describe my home on most days and it also stands for Cant Have Anybody Over Syndrome :)

I have never taken my stay at home job very seriously. You know, I went to school for teaching and I learned all kinds of tips, techniques, and standards. Unfortunately, they do not teach you how to plan and prepare meals, clean house (after a 2 year old tornado), and do all the other million little things that pop up all the time. I am sure they used to teach that back in the 50's. And I know some of you have the God given talent of just being good at it naturally. I was not and I am super jealous. Anyway, I decided to start treating my job more like a job. I am going to have to work at it. When I taught I would always get excited about a new way I was going to be organized that year or a new organizational piece for my kids. So, why not for my mommy job too! It has been a whole new adjustment now that I have two, almost like I am teaching a new grade level. And with school starting it seems like a fitting time to revamp.
Well, my friend who is much better at this stuff than I am, Carla, told me about this lady- the FLY lady. She coined the term CHAOS. Check her out! It is a lot to look at but I like some of the stuff she has to say and she really breaks it down for us "slow" ones :) I am all about baby steps. Some things I have been trying to make a daily habit is that the dishes are done, kitchen sink clean, every night. Keep up with the laundry by doing some almost daily. And on days where I need to be "working", put my shoes on! I have also decided to keep track of my cleaning on a calendar so that I know exactly what I have done and when it needs to be done again. I had to give up my preference of cleaning the whole house at one time to have that whole clean house wonderful feeling. Fly lady will break it down into weeks and zones of your house. I am not quite there. I have tried to plan meals a little better so that I am not scrambling at 4 oclock and staring blankly at the freezer. Sounds like an easy thing to do but its really not when you hate making decisions like me! And the biggest advice the fly lady has (that really made me think) is to clean/work first and reward yourself with computer time. :) I have a hard time with that one! I always reward myself with computer time after taking care of the kids! And I am not doing it now! haha!! Baby steps, right!?
So I just thought I would share since I figure surely I am not the only one! Hopefully, or I look pretty silly about now! I am doing much better since this new wave and my revamp has been quite successful. Well, if you don't look too hard.

On a totally unrelated note, Alex did SOO much better getting ready for school today and being dropped off!! Yea!!!! I am so proud of him!

And I can't post without a picture right?! You understand. Happy Thursday All!

you want me to clean?!

13 comments:

Amy Mc said...

Girl I'm right there with ya! I just don't have the naturally clean gene, so I have to really work at it. I have heard of FlyLady but I purchase the Motivated Moms organizer at the beginning of the year and use it. It is a PDF file ($8) and you can print it off to visually check off each task. They really break it down and that is good for me- otherwise my ceiling fans would never be clean! Good luck with your new goals!

Kristen said...

my house might look clean to an outsider but what they dont know is that the ceiling fans and blinds dont get dusted hardly ever. talk about gross! maybe i should start some kind of cleaning schedule too! i also like the idea of computer time second. too bad i should be doing my bible study right now instead of being on the computer. ok, im getting off to do it now! for real. :)

Kristen said...

it does feel overwhelming!! i've had to break the house cleaning down over multiple days too... it totally wears me out if i try and do it all at one time.
those pics of eliana are too too cute!! what an outfit!!

Unknown said...

I love FLYLady! I have a mini control journal in a spreadsheet and then when I get the sneek peek email on Sunday I write or type then print the task for each day. I can send you what I have see if that might help you get started. I love lists so it keeps me on track. Mind you it took me months to figure a system that would work for me.

Unknown said...

First of all.. these are WONDERFUL pictures!!! I love them!! You did such a great job!!! Second.. I'm about to go check out the website you suggested.. I just put the kids down.. I have a sink full of dishes b/c I just unloaded the dishwasher.. and yes I'm rewarding myself with computer time.. Yikes.. I have so much to do!! Can't wait to hang! :)

Kristen said...

You go girl! It is a tough job being a stay at home mom. There is so much more to do than take care of the kids! I need to check this FlyLady out...I love clean :) The pics of Eliana are adorable!!!

Carla said...

Okay, first of all, I could really use some help in the stay at home mom job as well! But I'm glad that you like FLYLady. I have to give credit to my sister for telling me about her though :)Sooo glad Alex had a better day. And Ellie is just precious! You are a natural behind the camera :)

Rob and Leah said...

Love Eliana's pictures. You're house always looks great to me! Glad Alex did better.

Holly said...

Here is my tip. I'm no Fly Lady, but I've found a few things that work for me. Make your grocery list 1x a week for the whole week. Go grocerying 1x a week. Fresh veggies/fruit on hand, and less trips to grocery store. I hate the grocery store and when I go, I tend to go hungry, and then you should see the cart. Got to do what works for you though!

Eliana looks too sweet for words!

Jenny said...

Oh my gosh, I love this post! Thank you so much for always being so honest, funny, helpful and encouraging in your posts! I mean, while you are helping yourself and your family, you are helping other mommies by telling us about your challenge, that we share! Thank you, thank you! And I am so excited for you too, it seems like is is really a great plan for you, as well as the rest of us moms, I can't wait to read a "follow up" post about this in just a few months! And holy cow, could those pictures be any cuter at the bottom? Where in the world did you get that great outfit?? It is like it was made for Ellie it is so stinkin cute!

The Dercks said...

Thanks, Cassie! You are definitely not alone. :) I'm for sure gonna have to check out this FlyLady...

Ashley said...

Love it! We are all living the same life! My house looks like a messy toy store everyday and i'm pretty sure Jake's hands are dirty as we speak from crawling on the dirty hardwood floor!

Sara said...

I really related with this post! I had it so much more together when I was teaching and now I feel like I'm a mess! I saw this FlyLady thing awhile back but I stopped reading when it said I had to clean everyday. There's not enough hours in the day. When do I fit in a nap?! You've motivated me to check it out again.