Saturday, May 17, 2008

Alexander Travis Isaacson

Okay, so I am finally updating the blog, as so many of you have been waiting for patiently. Thank you! As you parents know, we haven't had any time to do much of anything. It has been such an amazing experience though and we are enjoying this crazy time in our lives. The lord has truly blessed us with an angel. He is perfect and I am so in love! Here are some pictures from the hospital stay. We will post soon with more from home. I can't stop taking pictures of the precious guy- he is just so cute and I want to soak it all up! I cant believe it is already Sat. and he is 4 days old!
The Birth Story... (lets see if I can sum this up before its back to feeding...time seems to fly at warp speed right now!)
We went into the hospital on Monday night at 7:00, ready to have a baby, and VERY anxious about everything! It is such a weird feeling knowing that you are going to an appointment to have a baby. They set me up right away and started medicine to thin the cervix and start the body into labor easy. We watched our Monday night TV shows :) and tried to relax- key word tried. They gave me a sleeping pill to make sure I got rest for the big day ahead. When they checked me the week before I had not dilated at all, but when we went in we were pleased to find out that I had dilated to 1 cm already! That was good news to know that maybe my body was more ready than we thought and would react better to the meds. Tuesday morning they started the pitocin to really start the contractions. I had been feeling light ones all night but nothing too uncomfortable. My body took off with the pitocin and the contractions were very strong and started getting closer together quickly. By 10:00 I was really working! The nurses were smart and kind and reminded me that they don't hand out medals to heroes- get the drugs when you want to! :) Well, when you put it that way! Within 10 minutes I had hyperventilated and we backed off of the pitocin and we scheduled the epidural. I had some time to recoup and then the epidural kicked in. It was amazing and I loved it! :) I could not feel a thing and we started the drugs up again. I progressed quickly again and by 1:20 ish I was 5cm. The nurse said things would progress quick from here but we had no idea that they would move that quick. I got off the phone with my sister and told her the 5cm update at about 1:50 and we discussed how it could still be all afternoon- don't get to excited. I felt some pain and so I hung up to call the nurse. She checked me and I was already fully dilated! I am sorry, what?! :) Let me just call Travis who is hanging out in the lobby with his mom and sis- he might want to get in here!! Hysterical. That was a phone call to have recorded. My mom was driving in trying to make it in time- little did she know she would run in and be put right on my side while I started pushing. Perfect timing. Pushing went really well, and only lasted about 25 minutes. I only said "I can't do this anymore" once. was kinda funny because my drill Sargent nurse did not take that as an answer (in a nice way, she was awesome actually) She said I was going to have this baby before her shift was over at 3, and she did it! She is aggressive in a great way and I loved her! The birth was amazing. A true miracle. Words can't describe. We were so happy that he was healthy and well...not to mention a cutie from minute 1! :)
Everything went well from then on. All the family visitors were so fun! Breastfeeding started out kinda rough for me but after some instruction the next day, we were doing better. That first night is a doosy and they don't ease you into this thing at all! He is very well tempered and sleeps alot but with the revolving door of nurses, staff, and doctors, you don't have a minute to breathe.
Since my labor went so well, my body has been healing well and I am doing pretty good. I can't complain too much! I thank the Lord!
Alex passed his hearing test and looked oh so cute in his headphones- jammin out! (see pic) He had his circumcision on Wed night and that was really tough on all of us. It went as well as it could have gone- poor lil guy. I hated it. He came back really out of it and super sleepy. He hadnt eaten in a long time and so it scared me a little. They ended up having to test his blood sugar just to make sure he was okay and that woke him up :( again, poor lil guy!
Then the real excitement happened at about 11:00. There was a huge storm coming right for the hospital! It had tornado winds and huge hail. We watched it come in on the tv anxiously. When it hit, Travis saw a huge hail stone hit right outside our room and the roof started pounding. The nurses rushed in and made us evacuate to the hallway where there were no windows. It was scary. At least we were in the hospital :) But it was funny because I hadn't left the room at all until then. All these women and their babies come out for a lil block party in the hall. I felt like we were the only ones there, but man was I wrong. There were all these other women who looked just like me - beautifully exhausted in gowns of course all with lil babies just like Alex. Oh, maybe there are other cute babies out there. :) Most of us didn't talk except for "crazy lady"- she said she will bring the chips next time! haha...Luckily we didn't have to stay out there long and the storm passed quickly. Of course I had to pee right when they moved us! Hail damage to the Jeep in the parking lot was Travis's worry. There was some damage done considering the grapefruit sized hail reported on the news! It was Alex's first storm...what an exciting second day of life! We were ready to leave on Thursday morning...scared to be on our own... but ready to be left alone by all the nurses and staff at the same time. Travis was really ready.
It was an amazing experience that we will never forget. We are just thanking the Lord for our lil blessing. We are home and doing well. Alex is wonderful and just a dream. Note, this is not written at 3 am when it is tough to keep the eyes open and thoughts positive. Honestly, I can't stop watching him and looking at that precious face.
Nani, my mom, has been a great help! She has been right there with us through all the new "learning" that we have gone through in the last few days- quite comical at times. :) Now it is Honey's turn...we are so thankful for the help! We couldn't do this alone right now!
Travis has been a natural and an amazing dad from day 1! I am so thankful for him and I love seeing him hold his son. It brings tears to my eyes. He has been so great helping and supporting me also. I love him more than ever.
Okay, time is up, back to baby... more to come, so keep checking back often! You can leave comments too- just click comments at the bottom. We love hearing from you! Thank you for all the messages and emails so far! Your support and prayers have been such a blessing and really do keep us going! We love visitors too so let us know if you want to stop by!
Enjoy the picture slide show!


Terri said...

Congratulations guys! I'm so happy for you Cassie. It's wonderful! I hope he keeps sleeping well for you and you be sure to get as much rest as you can!

Chubby Cheek Designs said...

awww congratulations!!!!! its a very overwhelming but crazy wonderful experience isnt it?! yeah for yall!!!! he is such a hansome one already!!!

ps i will be in the RR this weekend, but i know you have tons of photog friends,lol!

Heidi said...

He's so cute Cassie, I can't wait to see him. I'll get in touch with you after school lets out and find out when a good time will be to come by and meet the little guy. Let me know if you need any help with the classroom, I'll be happy to help out. Heidi

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! So glad to hear that all is well. Enjoy every moment - even the late night feedings. ;)

KellieAnne said...

Yay!!!!!!!! I'm so, so excited for y'all! He is absolutely adorable and I'm just so happy everything went well. Can't wait to meet him (and see you guys too, of course)! Good luck getting adjusted...I'll be thinking about you. Love, KellieAnne

The Newtons said...

Congrats Cassie! I loved reading the entire story! Let us know if you need anything! Sarah Newton

Julie said...

He is so precious! I am so glad everything went well! You guys make such a beautiful family. I can't wait to meet him!
Lots of love!

jennymayb said...

Oh this story just made me tear up the whole time! You are so happy and so blessed and I can't tell you how happy that makes me! Congratulations sweetheart! Give Alex a kiss for me and I can't wait to meet him! : )

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! He is amazingly beautiful!! I'm so happy for you guys. I loved reading your story about the labor. It sounds so much like mine...and the drill sergeant nurse? Did we have the same one? :) Maybe someday we can get the babies together to play, well, in a few months. lol Glad to hear everything is going well. Keep in touch!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lil' Sis! I am SO happy for you guys and happy to hear Alex is healthy! He is definitely adorable. Be on the lookout for a little package next week. All the sudden Alex was here and I hadn't mailed it! (Whoops)
Can't wait to meet him!
Julie (Alsup)